Baby, it’s cold outside.

Posted: January 10, 2011 in Antique trucks, Classic Cars, Hot Rod, Vintage trucks

Which means it’s cold in the shop as well.   While the woodstove warms up, a little update on the progress on the truck.   Yesterday, with the sun shining in the windows and the stove almost glowing cherry red, I got a couple things done.   I made a little cover for the main fuse panel, from a scrap of polished diamond plate.  I think it works well, fits the theme and matches the diamond plate in the box as well.

It’s nice seeing the dash (almost) as it will look finished, without a tangle mess of wiring hanging from beneath it.  There are a few loose ends, but those are steadily getting sorted out, wrapped in looms and connected to the appropriate componants.  It’s time consuming, but I think it’s coming along.

I also spent some time getting the turn signal switch mounted to the column.  This is a Guide unit, which was originally in our ’48 Pontiac convert, a dealer installed accessory.  I’d had it mounted on the ’68 Cadillac tilt/tele column that used to be in the Pontiac, and had lost along the way the original mounting clamp.   A stainless hose clamp from the hardware store worked perfectly, and the switch looks right at home on the DT column.  Very period corrrect, and looks perfect ahead of the engine turned dash.  I replaced the burned out indicator bulb too, so it should be good to go.   In addtion to that, I made a bracket to mount the ECM, which is welded to the brake pedal hanger.  Simple, the ECM just sets in it, and a tarp strap clamps it in place.

The seat is “done”, although I may end up splitting the center arm-rest in two.  It’s pretty wide, with it down, there’s little room between it and the steering wheel, which, unfortunately, doesn’t tilt.  If only…    With the armrest split, it’ll be a little more comfrotable and useable.  Gotta have cupholders, don’t we?  The piece of Masonite on the door jamb will be covered with matching leather.

I finally ordered the fuel pump, an in tank one from Auto-Zone, which looks like it’ll easily adapt to my tank fitting.  The one now is for a TBI, and isn’t high enough pressure.   The LS motor requires MUCH more pressure, like 90 psi.   Then I have to figure out fuel line fittings for the return line.  I also ordered a courtesy light kit, so lights will come on all over the interior when the doors are opened, and I have some very pretty stainless steel 34 Ford reproduction tailights, stainless stands and wire covers for the back of the truck.  They should look appropriate.

I drilled holes in the fenders to mount the head lights too.  When I widened them, the lights were too far outboard in the original holes, but when I moved them in, the newly widened inner fender brace was in the wrong spot, so a compromise puts them an inch and a half further out than original.   I’m tape measure challenged, and it took a LONG time for me to get them centered and equal side to side, but I’m happy with the result.  The front looked a little “pinched” originally, with them out a little, on the wider fenders, the proportions a little better.

So, waiting for parts, then fuel lines, brake lines, get the driveshaft made and start on the exhaust.  These little things are so time consuming, it’s hard to comprehend, but it all needs to get done.  It’ll be nice to get through this fabrication stage, and on to the painting and assembly part, where I’ll be able to see progress.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. kirkus says:

    People who don’t do projects like this have no appreciatin for all the time and fiddling it takes to make all this different stuff work together.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s