So far, we can’t complain. 

This last weekend was the second outing for the Spartan, and again it exceeds our expectations.  We went to Yankee Springs State Park just 15 miles from us for their “Harvest Festival”, were joined by our grandson Milo, and had a wonderful time.  Next week, we hit the road to Northern Michigan for a color tour and fall vacation.  We’re looking forward to it, and to many more trips and family vacations.

Here’s a few photos of last weekends fun:

The weekend with the Spartan was a huge success.  Lots of compliments on the trailer, especially the two-tone exterior polish.  Everybody liked it, we love it, so it’s permanent.  I’m going to Scotch bright the roof and rear panel for a satin look to contrast the polished sides.

One year of blood, sweat, and a few tears is being rewarded with what is turning out to be a FABULOUS weekend in Milford at the Tin Can Tourists fall rally.  I’m reminded again that without our great friends, none of this would be possible.  Many thanks to Mike and Cheryl O’Conner, Mike and Cortney Greene, Butch and Pam Starner, Jake and Tami Moomey , Kirk and Donnell Brown for assistance, and all our TCT friends for support and encouragement.  Kim and I couldn’t have gotten so much done so fast without you.  
Without further ado, behold, the ’47 Spartan Manor:


See that guy, with polishing compound in his beard, ears, eyes, reflected in the trailer?  That guy, yup, right there, the one who said he wasn’t going to polish another trailer, that this one would be painted.  Looks like he’s polishing a trailer, doesn’t it?

I was going to simply acid wash the trailer and call it good for this fall, but after I got done with the wash, I didn’t like how it looked.  I had bought a new buffer, pads, and Nuvite polish from Vintage Trailer Supply, so I had everything on hand, and started in.  I bought some 3M Super Duty rubbing compound, which I’ve used in the past for the first cut, but it’s SO messy, greasy, flings all over, that I tried the Nuvite G7 I’d bought, and it works MUCH better!  Not nearly as dirty (although you wouldn’t know that by looking at me!), cuts better, and doesn’t fill the bonnet with greasy left over compound.  It’s a winner.  C grade compound after that for the 2nd cut, and it’s as good as I can get it with a rotary buff.  I’ll have some residual swirl marks, but it’ll be fine.

I realized both of my step ladders, and the planks I use as scaffold to get up on the roof and polish are at our sons house in Dexter, they  used them painting and a little kitchen remodel in their new home.  The steel ramps on sawhorses are great for doing the sides, I can’t get up on the roof to polish.  Darn.  So, I’m going for a tu-tone bare metal scheme, only the sides below the drip rail will be polished (for now), the roof and back will be left the dull white acid wash.  Later, when I recover from polishing the sides, and I have my ladders and planks back, I’ll get ambitious and do the rest.  For now it’ll look interesting, and much, much better than it did.

Tomorrow I want to get the 2nd cut completed on the curb side (shown), I still have to do the upper panels between the windows, and then move on to the street side.  It should go faster than today, since the wash is done, I should be able to polish the rest in about 4 hours.  Then, I’d like to get started on the screen doors and get the curtain rods up.  Kim is finishing up the curtains tonight, so it’d be nice to see the interior with the barkcloth curtains in.

In other news, the Zip-Dee awning arrived today, my buddy Jake Moomey is going to stop by Saturday and help install it, he put one on his Spartan this spring hours before they left for Camp Dearborn, so he’s experienced!

That’s all until tomorrow, time to take an Aleve and pass out…

I’ve gotten lots done the last couple days.  All the Spartan’s window garnish trims are polished and installed, accent lights on the display shelves in, bulkhead cabinet lights over the bed are installed.  The dump valves are on the black and grey tanks are on and I replaced the leaking seal in the Dometic “Sea/Land” toilet.  Not very glamorous but needed.  

The new Zip-Dee awning should be done this week, the screen doors need to be built and I have get the new center front window in.  The upholsterer needs to get busy, my work is almost done!

One by one, the seemingly endless list of tasks is being completed in the Spartan.  Yesterday I replaced the grungy, noisy clock/timer in the Dixie stove with a little battery clock from my least favorite store, Wal-Mart.  It fit perfectly.

The counter top edging is DONE, and I used the rest of the Marmoleum to make a backsplash behind the sink and stove.  The effect is stunning.

Next up, Kim is doing the upholstery for the booth, and I’ll acid was the exterior.  It’ll ultimately be polished, but for this fall, that’ll suffice.

I’m happy.